PROACTIVE: It's a Word

Subject: PROACTIVE: It's a Word
From: John L Patterson <a342jpatters -at- ATTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 08:24:12 -0400

I first saw the term proactive in Malcolm Knowles, "Self Directed
Learning," copyrighted in 1975. In "Learning Resource L: Exercise in
Reading a Book Proactively," he writes the following:

"Self-directed learning implies that learners take the initiative in
making use of resources, rather than simply react to transmissions
from the resources. They know what they want to get from a
resource, and they probe the resource until they get what they
want. They are PROACTIVE rather than reactive learners."

Currently, proactive is a buzz word. I even think it has become the brand
name of a shampoo I saw advertised on TV.

John Patterson
a342patters -at- attmail -dot- com