Technical Communications Terms

Subject: Technical Communications Terms
From: Wendy Phillips <wendy -at- SYNERGEX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 08:34:35 -0700

Thanks for your input! I appreciate everything that was sent.
My goal was to try and determine the common--not definitive--usage of
these terms: review, copyedit, substantive edit, and proofread, in the
technical writing business.
The reference material was very helpful as a standard, but since we all
know how people just plain _love_ to ignore standards when it's convenient,
my goal is to try and understand what another writer may mean when, for
example, they say they're doing a copyedit. I've found that different
people do different levels of editing and still call it a "copyedit".
Thanks again!
Wendy
P.S. If anyone has more to send on this topic, please do!
-----
Here's a summary of the information I received:
> my understanding, FWIW (in the order that we do them):
>
> technical edit/review
> ------------------------
> Developers/QA/tech support/product management make sure info in doc is
> technically accurate. (Example: check syntax of code examples)
>
> substantive edit
> ------------------------
> Editor/peers check structure of information/quality of information.
> (Example: evaluate book organization and usability)
>
> copyedit/line edit/proofread
> ------------------------
> Editor checks for grammar/spelling/usage mistakes. (Example: correct its
> vs it's ;-)
>
> copyfit
> ------------------------
> Writer/production person preps files for printer. (Example: eliminate
> strange page breaks)
>
> proof
> ------------------------
> Writer/production person checks blue lines from printer. (Example: make
> sure no broken lines, smudges, PS problems)
>
> Each task is critical. In larger shops, a different person might be
> responsible for a task or part of a task. In smaller shops, one or two
> people might be responsible for several tasks. Plenty of room for
> flexibility.
> > What do you mean when you use the word "copyedit"?
>
> Our copyeditors check for grammar, spelling, style, and formatting
> errors.
>
> > Substantive Edit
>
> In my organization, the project manager does a substantive edit. This is
> not checking for technical accuracy or spelling/grammar errors (although
> they may be caught at this time), but more of a "is this going in the
> right direction" edit... does it cover everything it needs to cover, is
> it instructionally sound (which probably won't apply to your situation),
> and other things specific to our products.
>
> > Proofread
>
> Our proofreaders check the copyedited copy against the final formatted
> copy and make sure all marked corrections have been made.

> The way we were taught the terms in school (93-95) was
>
> copyedit -- To make corrections (both grammatical and stylistic) to a
> piece of writing
> substantive edit -- To _really_ edit a piece of writing, all the way
> to the organizational level. This takes a lot of time.
> proofread -- used to mean to compare the printer's proof with the
> copy editor's markup to make sure the changes got in there,
> but now mostly means to do a quick check of a piece of
writing
> for spelling errors and missing words and such. Where a copy
> editor would suggest changes, a proofreader can only note
> obvious mistakes like repeated words, missing words, and
typos.
> review -- to have someone, even the author, look over a piece with a
> critical eye. Can be for technical information, style,
grammar,
> whatever.

In the year and a half that I worked as a proofreader, we not only compared
the printed documents to the original manuscripts, we also performed all of
the functions often defined as copyediting (correcting spelling,
punctuation, and grammatical errors; looking for typos; checking for
consistency of format and usage; etc.).

Technically, copyediting involves much more than proofreading, which really
means to compare a printer's proof against the original manuscript. But
because none of our stuff is typeset, and because until recently we simply
gave the printer a printed manuscript to photocopy, we often used the terms
interchangeably (perhaps incorrectly so, but that's the way it goes). Now
that we *do* need to check the printer's proof, we may want to return to
the
real definition of proofread to differentiate between the two tasks.