Copyediting FAQ and other lists for TWs

Subject: Copyediting FAQ and other lists for TWs
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 14:25:34 +0800

Iain Harrison <iharrison -at- SCT -dot- CO -dot- UK> said:
> There are other places where discussion might be better placed: The
> copy-ed list has a slightly rambling, friendly atmosphere, where
> discussions ranges over a very wide range of topics. I'm not a
> member, because the traffic is too high -- I just don't have time
> to keep up with it.

If you can't keep up with the traffic on copyedit-l, the next best
thing is to read the FAQ. It covers many of the questions that trudge
wearily along the techwr-l treadmill from time to time. Reading these
may not always change your mind, but you will be better informed.

Unfortunately I don't have the FAQ details with me -- Geoff, can you
help? But here is the subscription address for the list:

Topic: Copyediting (discussion)
Address: listproc -at- cornell -dot- edu
Message: subscribe copyediting-l Your Name

If you really have a lot of time on your hands, the alt.usage.english
news group is devoted to questions of English usage around the world.
Imagine that all the TECHWR-L threads about grammar, punctuation,
spelling, usage, Ebonics, slang, regionalisms, dictionaries, political
correctness and the serial comma were spun off to a separate list.
That's a.u.e.

When I stopped reading the list a couple of years ago it was said to
have about 80,000 readers, so imagine TECHWR-L multiplied by forty or
so. The smart people are smarter! The dumb replies are dumber! The
wits are wittier! The spam is spammier!

There was a list formed last year called OffTopic1, for the express
purpose of allowing techwhirlers to "let our hair down after a hard
day of being strictly professional." It had "no rules other than those
of free speech", and was a haven for notorious troublemakers like. . .
well, they can't be named for legal reasons, so we'll refer to them
simply as 'Sue G' and 'Sandra C'.

Does anyone know if OffTopic1 is still going?

Stuart Burnfield "When the final deadline came to pass
Functional Software Pty Ltd A style guide was no good. . ."
mailto:slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au -- Gene Pitney
'The Man Who Certified Liberty Valance'

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!
Archives:,, or