Re: Secure .pdf files

Subject: Re: Secure .pdf files
From: Dave Chisma & Gail Hodgson <chisma -at- C031 -dot- AONE -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 21:55:10 +1000

Beth Friedman wrote:
> In our previous episode, Christopher Carmichael said:
> > That's why I used .pdf files as security can be included no printing, no
> > cut and paste -- just viewing. It's typical that this would happen; and it
> > could involve the technical publications department getting the backlash.
> Is it possible to create .pdf files that you can print but _can't_ cut
> and paste from? I have a need for something like that. Or are the
> two security attributes interlinked?

Dave Chisma wrote:

Use Acrobat Exchange to independently set the security on:

opening the document
changing the document
selecting text and graphics
adding or changing notes and form fields

Naturally, no matter what the security is you can take a screen dump and
make a bitmap. But when Selecting text is enabled, you can cut and paste
portions of text instead of only an image of it.

Cheers, Dave Chisma
chisma -at- c031 -dot- aone -dot- net -dot- au

Archives:,, or