When to conduct useability testing on Procedures

Subject: When to conduct useability testing on Procedures
From: Hillary Russak <hrussak -at- SLAC -dot- STANFORD -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:41:36 -0700

I'm writing small (5-7pg) procedure documents for hazardous and radioactive
waste management. The procedures are coming out one at a time and I'm
sending them to my experts and authors for review. My plan was to conduct
usability with non-experts/non-authors after that review. Can you-all give
me feedback about whether you think my timing is correct on this?

Should I be running a useability check of my written recipe prior to the
review instead? The current process seems to be working, but I have
concern that if I find that steps are left-out, I'll have to send the
documents around again for review. This would be a waste of the first
review.

When do you-all do useability on hands-on procedural documents?
-hil

Hillary M. Russak, Technical Writer
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ES&H Division, Waste Management Department
hrussak -at- slac -dot- stanford -dot- edu
Office: (650) 926-3193
Pager: (650) 940-0741