Re: USAGE: "Therefore" and "thus"

Subject: Re: USAGE: "Therefore" and "thus"
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 19:19:16 GMT

I agree with the other suggestions, especially seeing what happens if
you leave it out.

Another idea -- can the statements be turned into numbered lists?
Sometimes "therefore" and "thus" are used to sum up a list of actions.

You can also use the equally awkward "because of this", "based on
this," and so on, though I'd only do it for variety, not because it's
a great solution.

Barb

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997 12:07:44 -0400, you wrote:

>Anyway, my question: in many of the documents, I see gleeful overuse of
>"therefore" and "thus." Nine times out of ten, I find this grating on my
>ear when I mentally "listen" to the document. I'm currently looking for
>ways around these terms, but most of the time, I'm stumped. The words
>accurately convey the intended meaning, but they just seem wrong.
>
>Is it just me? Or is there a better way of doing this that hasn't occured
>to me as yet?
>
>Emru "I wish Lotus Notes had a signature feature" Townsend
>emru -at- coreco -dot- com
>

> If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!
>Commands: mailto:listserv -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu (e.g. SIGNOFF TECHWR-L)
>Archives: http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html,
>Subjects: JOB:, QUESTION:, SUMMARY:, ANNOUNCE:, or none of these.

Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.
Technical Writing

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!