Re: USAGE: "Therefore" and "thus"

Subject: Re: USAGE: "Therefore" and "thus"
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 11:58:24 -0600

> >The word "thus" is a little harder sometimes, because engineers
> >use it as shorthand for "in this way," "as a consequence of
> >this action," "this demonstrates that," or like phrases. I
> >usually try to figure out what the logical conclusion (if any )
> >the engineer was trying to indentify, then see if the structure
> >of the paragraph lets me get by without the conclusion
> >identifier. If not, I still replace "thus" with something more
> >friendly, because I find "thus" to be especially pretentious.

You could always change it to IF, THEN, ELSE. ;-)

I agree (I think) with what Carol says... see if the sentence make sense
without it. If they're still necessary but "thus" and "therefore" sound
too stuffy in your documentation, replace them with something more
user-friendly.

Tracy
Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Vocational and Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!