Re: Entry-level requirements

Subject: Re: Entry-level requirements
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:41:57 -0800

Hillary Jones wrote:

> Here's what we looked for while interviewing for our "entry-level"
> position:
>
> * writing experience (writing samples)
> * aggressive in gathering information from SMEs (interview)
> * not intimidated by the short doc cycles (interview)
> * has an aptitude for learning (resume and interview)
>
> It had nothing to do with degrees.

<loud cheering and applause>

Remember that this post was about entry level people. When we let it be
known that we're open to entry-level applicants, we're looking for
INTERNS, not for experienced technical writers. People with AND without
degrees have to demonstrate that they can write, and people with degrees
tend to have had more opportunities to demonstrate that. That doesn't
mean that non-degreed people can't; it's just been our experience that
generally they haven't.

Mostly what we're looking for, when we interview interns, is the ability
to learn something quickly, then turn around and teach the next person
effectively.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems