Re: Bold, Italics, etc.

Subject: Re: Bold, Italics, etc.
From: Kelly Plamp <kellysue -at- KELLY-SUE -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 13:24:51 -0800

Hi, John:

On 11/1/97, at 12:43 PM, John Prince wrote:

>I was always taught to bold any actions the user must perform. Not the
>entire sentence of course, only the button name, "Click Save," or
>Menu/Submenu selections, "Go to File>Save."

I have written for different organizations who like it different ways. What I find is it doesn't make any difference, as long as the first page of the document is "Conventions used in this document", where all the conventions are listed. This way the reader knows when he sees "press <Enter>" whether that means a button on the screen, a menu choice, or a key on the keyboard. Then the conventions need to be consistent throughout. I find this works the best for me.

Best regards,

Kelly Sue Plamp
www.kelly-sue.com
Computer Management Technologies