Re: PDF: Joining files and printing

Subject: Re: PDF: Joining files and printing
From: "Burns, Nancy" <nburns -at- BREAULT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 15:17:33 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Miark <miark -at- MIJENIX -dot- COM>
Date: Wednesday, November 05, 1997 10:17 AM
<snip>
>1. How do I make the printouts of PDF graphics look decent? If I zoom
> in on the images on the screen, they look fine; when I print them,
> they look blotchy.
>
>2. How do I join PDF files to each other?

We just spent several hours attacking problem #1. Our solution for improved
printed graphics - particularly screen captures, was to change the
compression options in Acrobat Distiller. Specifically,

1. Open Distiller (not Distiller Assistant) (we're using the latest version,
3.01).

2. From the Distiller menu, select Job Options. In General options, we
selected
-Acrobat 3.0 for the Compatibility File Settings
-600 dip for Device Settings.

3. In Compression options, for both Color and Grayscale Bitmap Images:
-Downsample, we chose 300 dps
-Automatic Compression ZIP/JPEG Medium High (we tried High but saw no
difference)
For Monochrome Bitmap Images:
-Downsample to 300 dip
-Manual Compression CCITT Group 4.

When we created a PDF file using these settings and then printed, the hard
copy looked much better than it had without these changes. Hope this helps
you save some time.

For your problem #2, see related messages posted recently, particularly
about Ambia's Compose program.

Nancy Burns
Senior Technical Writer
Breault Research Organization (BRO)