Reply - QUESTION: cross-platform file formats

Subject: Reply - QUESTION: cross-platform file formats
From: Carol Van Natta <CVANNATT -at- ITC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 06:32:35 -0700

Here at the NRCS, we ship both DOS and UNIX applications
on our CDs, and we use a text readme file. You could try
HTML if your UNIX users have a browser -- e.g., Netscape for
UNIX. (If all they have is Lynx, though, you're probably better
off doing the dreaded text file.)

>>> Gila Jones <majones -at- EXO -dot- COM> 11/5/97 6:57 pm

I haven't seen anything much about this in the archives...

I work for a s/w company that sells both Unix and Windows
products.
We ship our products on CDs. Software for all platforms
comes on the
same CD.

I'm working on the readme file that goes in the top level of the
CD.
We've always shipped the readme file as a txt file, but txt
supports
so few features that I dread it. PDF is not an option, because
Unix
users don't like it for some peculiar reason. And we don't
want to
have multiple copies of the readme.

Are there other cross-platform options that I haven't thought
of?

Gila Jones --- majones -at- exo -dot- com

message.
Commands: mailto:listserv -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu (e.g.
SIGNOFF TECHWR-L)
http://www.dejanews.com/
Subjects: JOB:, QUESTION:, SUMMARY:, ANNOUNCE:, or
none of these.