Re: Have QA compile the help project?

Subject: Re: Have QA compile the help project?
From: "Martin, Chuck" <chuckm -at- EVOLVESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 12:33:01 -0800

Not only should QA be able to compile your Help project, they should do
it as a matter of course. Actually, I have been in environments where QA
is ultimately responsible for the entire build process. Developers do
individual compiles when needed (and that included compilation of Help),
but QA is responsible for maintenance of the latest versions of source
files and the creation of the major revisions that will go through the
formal testing process.

I have done the same thing, but in Visual Source Safe. (You are using
source control for your source documents, aren't you?)

Besides, giving one person control (or one position, should that
particular person leave), minimizes the confusion you experience. The
focus for builds of the entire product is always at one consistent
point. There is no "need" to have control over the Help system until the
final compiled system is delivered to be integrated with the app. It
should be integrated from the very beginning.

--
"You don't look American."
"Everyone looks American, because Americans are from everywhere."

- Doonesbury
Chuck Martin, Technical Writer
Evolve Software | Personal
chuckm -at- evolvesoftware -dot- com | writer -at- grin -dot- net
www.evolvesoftware.com | www.grin.net/~writer