Re: Not Selecting

Subject: Re: Not Selecting
From: "Martin, Chuck" <chuckm -at- EVOLVESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 15:04:01 -0800

What does your company's style guide say? No company style guide? What
does the style guide say for the OS that the application is designed to
run on?

The Microsoft Manual of Style says to use "select" and clear" for your
"activate" and "deactivate." (Of course, it's referring to terminology
for Windows applications.) "Activate" isn't accurate anyway (at least,
it shouldn't be) because nothing actually happens when the checkbox is
selected (other than the "x" appearing in the box). Rather, any action
that occurs based on the check box's status happens when a user clicks,
typically, "Apply" or "OK."

--
"You don't look American."
"Everyone looks American, because Americans are from everywhere."

- Doonesbury
Chuck Martin, Technical Writer
Evolve Software | Personal
chuckm -at- evolvesoftware -dot- com | writer -at- grin -dot- net
www.evolvesoftware.com | www.grin.net/~writer