Re: hardware for Framemaker

Subject: Re: hardware for Framemaker
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 21:46:28 +0100

Michael,

the main problem with Frame on UNIX is cost, compared to PC/Mac versions.
Besides the higher price for the licence, as an UNIX user you are invited
to pay quite a bit for the maintenance of the product (be it with a
maintenance contract, be it for every minor bugfix. (Well, it is now about
5 years that I stopped using Frame (Version 3) on a UNIX workstation; so
things might have changed a bit in the meantime).

However, it seems that the UNIX operating system is superior to the low end
machines. It does show its past, on the other hand, which means that there
is a learning curve for maintaining a UNIX box. Back then, Frame was very
stable, and I can't remember ever having to kill the process because it got
stuck.

On the low-end side, it would be really worthwile to look at the life-cycle
cost of the Frame system (hardware, software, maintenance, etc.). In a
production environment, down-time (for example for upgrading the system)
does count. So, my preference is clear ... (hint: on which platform does
changing a video board produce 4 hours down-time (not for a dummy; the case
I know has been with a very experienced user/developer).

I wonder whether someone out there has life-time cost data for various
platforms.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com