Re: Online help wording question

Subject: Re: Online help wording question
From: Mona Albano <Mona_Albano -at- PROMIS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 16:02:07 -0500

Anonymous said, about a touch-screen GUI:

"To select the program characteristics you want to view, touch the choice
you want to select in the View selection area."

-----------------

I don't think you need the abstract noun "choice"
when you are already selecting or maybe viewing.

How about,

Touch the button beside the program characteristics
that you want to view.

To view program characteristics, look in the View area and
touch the button for your choice

To select program characteristics, in the View area
touch one of the buttons.

BTW, I don't like the term, "radio button," because it seems
that we are trying to teach the reader our jargon before we
communicate anything useful.

-- Mona

Technical Writer & Editor
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
mona -dot- albano -at- promis -dot- com (temporary)
mab -at- user -dot- rose -dot- com (permanent)

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!