Re: Bullets--To Indent or Not To Indent

Subject: Re: Bullets--To Indent or Not To Indent
From: Jan Stanley <jstanley -at- ROADSHOW -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 17:17:44 -0500

Damien asked whether bulleted list items should be indented.

When I've got questions about displayed lists, I turn to a marvelous
article, "Getting Ducks in a Row: The Rules for Displayed Lists." It
was originally published in The Editorial Eye, a newsletter produced by
EEI Communications; it's now on EEI's Web site.

http://www.eeicom.com/eye/ducks.html

From the article:

<Bulleted items look best when set with hanging indention, which may
appear [as an indented block]...or with further indention of runover
lines.>

There are lots of other Eye articles on the Web site, plus information
about EEI's training, publications, editorial and publications services,
and more. EEI writers and editors produced the New York Public Library
Writer's Guide to Style and Usage, a clear, concise reference that I've
found quite useful over the last several years when I've needed to
address those *tricky* editorial questions.

Regards,

Jan Stanley
Senior Technical Writer
The Descartes Systems Group
mailto:jstanley -at- roadshow -dot- com

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!