"Granny" instructions

Subject: "Granny" instructions
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 20:31:40 -0500

Krista van Laan <vanlaan -at- BILBO -dot- NTC -dot- NOKIA -dot- COM> wrote:

>I'm concerned that the procedures will be much too long. I >really dislike seeing 20- or 30-step procedures.

Why don't you try this:

1.) Give the long procedure a 1st level heading.

2.) Break down the long procedures into three or four smaller ones. Give
each of the smaller procedures a 2nd level headings.

3.) Below the first level heading, explain that the long procedure
consists of sub-procedures a, b, c, and d.

4.) Introduce sub-procedures by explaining where they fit into the
longer procedures.

5.) At the end of each sub-procedure, remind readers what sub-procedure
they have just finished, how it fits into the longer procedure, and what
the next sub-procedure is.

The result takes up more space than one long procedure, but should be
less intimidating.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189 or 688-6211 L. 290

"You won't catch me with truth, my dear,
You won't catch me with lies;
Above the hall, overseeing all,
There wait electric eyes."