"Granny" instructions

Subject: "Granny" instructions
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:13:24 +0000

I was taught when I first started that you should (unless you know
different - PhD students, experienced engineers etc) treat your readers as
total idiots! If they are then they'll (hopefully!!) understand what
you've written. If they're not, they may think it a little noddy but will
"skim" it and get the information they need. If it's the other way around
however (aimed at engineers and they're not) then it won't get read.

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International