Re: QUESTION: 101

Subject: Re: QUESTION: 101
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 17:38:12 -0600

It's a U.S.-specific reference to the most instructions. In our
universities and colleges, the beginning classes are numbered with 101,
such as English 101, Mathematics 101, Biology 101. Actually, some
schools do use other numbers, but the "101" is part of the American
language and cultural schema.

Hope that helps.

Jane

On Monday, November 17, 1997 5:27 PM, Terence Kierans
[SMTP:TKierans -at- TRANSIGO -dot- NET -dot- AU] wrote:
> While reading submissions to the list I have come across several
> references to "such-and-such 101".
>
> Can someone please enlighten me as to the derivation of the 101?
>
> TIA.

Jane Bergen, Technical Writer,
AnswerSoft, Inc. Richardson, TX
(972) 997-8355