Re: Toolbar vs Menu

Subject: Re: Toolbar vs Menu
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 14:25:33 -0600

We generally document everything from the menu bar, for several reasons.

* Unless EVERYTHING is available on the toolbar, you're going to end up
with a confusion of methods for your user.

* Many users dislike using icons and prefer to use the keyboard to use
commands, such as Ctrl + S for Save. The menus display these keyboard
shortcuts.

* If you document commands from toolbar icons, you have to show your
reader the icon. The result is a lot of extra graphics in the docs.
Clutter.

Somewhere I read some articles about this subject, but can't remember
where or when. I hope someone else can point to something...

Jane Bergen
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer,
AnswerSoft, Inc. Richardson, TX
(972) 997-8355