Re: Idiots

Subject: Re: Idiots
From: Matthew Epstein <Matthew -dot- Epstein -at- FAA -dot- DOT -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 15:08:50 -0500

Sometimes there's a mixed audience. My primary audience is
aircraft mechanics, and I try to write clear, step-by-step
instructions in my docs. But another audience is lawyers looking
for loopholes to get out of performing the requirements of the
regulations, so I have to be extra precise and leave no openings.
Unfortunately, loophole closing and clarity often contradict. And
in the government, our attorney has the final word, so I often hear
complaints from users about unnecessary complexity.

Matthew Epstein
Engine and Propeller Directorate
Burlington, MA

Matthew -dot- Epstein -at- faa -dot- dot -dot- gov