Re: Numbered list vs bulleted list

Subject: Re: Numbered list vs bulleted list
From: "Tahmaseb, Charity (C) (STP)" <charity -dot- tahmaseb -at- GUIDANT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 08:50:13 -0600

Hi Don,

I took this directly from "The Elements of Technical Writing" by Gary
Blake and Robert W. Bly:

"Present instructions as a series of numbered steps. If an operation is
clearly a step-by-step procedure, you can make life easier for the
reader by writing the instruction manual as a series of numbered steps."

At this point the book gives us an example of a numbered-step procedure
and continues with:

"With numbered steps, if the operator needs to discuss the procedure
with your support staff, he or she can ask a question by referring to
"step 3" instead of "the fifth line down in the second paragraph on the
fourth page, where it says to release the whatchamacallit switch."

Now you have two sources that recommend numbered lists for procedures.
:-)

Charity

Charity Tahmaseb
Technical Writer
Guidant Corporation / CPI
E-202, 4100 Hamline Ave. N., St. Paul, MN 55112-5796