"a" v. "an" with an acronym

Subject: "a" v. "an" with an acronym
From: Ron D Rhodes <Ron_D_Rhodes -at- MAIL -dot- BANKONE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 11:23:17 -0500

Jim,

I understand your confusion. To me, it's sort of like using "an"
before a noun that begins with "h."

Consider making life a littler easier by sticking to the simple rule:
vowels get "an," consonants get "a."

So, I would always write "the programmer wrote [a] "SQL" code." This
rule sometime makes phrases sound a little awkward (ok, a lot
awkward), but it's a rule that I find easy to defend when others edit
my work.

That's my $.02.

Ron Rhodes
ron_d_rhodes -at- mail -dot- bankone -dot- com