"a" v. "an" --correction.

Subject: "a" v. "an" --correction.
From: Ron D Rhodes <Ron_D_Rhodes -at- MAIL -dot- BANKONE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 07:57:33 -0500

To all those whose responded to my "a" v."an" post.

I stand corrected.

My first inclination was to agree with those who claimed the
"vowel-sounding" consonants get "an." But, when I checked the CMS, I
thought I read something else than what was really there. I must have
had a busy day because I didn't even question the logic of what I
thought I read.

Well now it's Monday. I have had a mind-cleansing weekend. Michigan
humbled the Buckeyes for the third straight year (my Buckeyes have
lost 8 out of ten times now).

Below I am posting exactly what the CMS states. It's my style guide,
and it states clearly what most of you already subscribe to.

<quote 6.49 of CMS 13th ed.>

Such forms as "an historical study" or "an union" are not idiomatic in
American English. Before a pronounced H, long U (or EU), and such
word as one, the indefinite article should be A:

A hotel
A historical study
BUT:AN honor, AN heir

A euphonious word
such A one
A union

<end quote>

There' not much to mis-interpret here. In fact, I don't know what I
was thinking.

Much thanks to those to caught my folly.

Ron Rhodes
ron_d_rhodes -at- mail -dot- bankone -dot- com

Why did Lloyd Carr only dress 10 Michigan players for Saturday's game?
He figured the rest could probably dress themselves.

Congrats to U of M fans. You have bettered us again (and again, and again,
and again!). OK, it's really not funny anymore. Cut it out! :-)