Re[2]: Questions re: previous salary

Subject: Re[2]: Questions re: previous salary
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 15:57:30 EST

John Posada <posada -at- faxsav -dot- com> wrote:
> Well...if it's THAT important, I'll take some time and contribute to it
(grin)

Good! I was hoping you would!

> Maybe I've developed a thick skin, but unless agency "A" specifically
goes out of their way to screw ME, I take very little personal.

> I understand and don't have a pronblem with an agency trying to keep as
much of the pie as they can and they don't have a problem with me trying
to keep it for myself by asking for decent rates.

<snip>

I can see how this would work well for you. There is a lot to be said
for letting an agency do all that non-writing work, and it seems fair
to me for them to take a nice cut out of one's pay. You can still get
a great wage that way.

But when the agency binds the mouths of the threshing oxen -- that is,
takes an inordinately large percentage of a writer's wage -- I do have
a problem with it. Seems to me that one way to avoid this is by
avoiding the agency's questions about previous salary.

Anybody else have other ideas on how to do this?

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)