Re: Creative Punctuation

Subject: Re: Creative Punctuation
From: Sean Fitzpatrick <Sean -dot- Fitzpatrick -at- SMED -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 11:23:55 -0500

>...veterans gave up their tomorrow's so we may have our today's . . .
>"They're in the possessive form. The possessive is the veteran's 'tomorrow's'
>and our 'today's'," Doggart said. "That's what we intended."

Ya can't argue with that. He has his standard's and he'll be danged if he'll
raise them. Just goes to show that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
An American group would never make that error, though they might put in some
nice decorative quotation marks: <"tomorrows" so we may have our "todays">.

And all sarcasm aside, didn't anyone boggle at the faulty sequence of tenses?
It should be "veterans gave up their tomorrows so we MIGHT have our todays".

>Living proof that literacy is *not* declining.

Right. It's hit rock bottom.

Sean Fitzpatrick
Shared Medical Systems, Malvern, PA
sean -dot- fitzpatrick -at- smed -dot- com

*