Getting On-line Help Systems Reviewed.

Subject: Getting On-line Help Systems Reviewed.
From: "Richard Pineger." <Richard_Pineger -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 11:38:41 +0000

I have a large HDK Windows help project in one file (253 pages). It is
plain HDK i.e. standard format with TOC. It also contains context IDs.
It was released with Version 3 of its parent software and has been updated
for Version 4 and now Version 5.

My question is, does anyone have any advice on getting such a large help
file reviewed?

Once I print out the help pages there are no references to where they
originated and no page numbers or links. This makes it difficult to review
hard copy.

Having people click through and read pages on-screen does not allow them to
make comments which are consistently referenced to the position in the help
file. Also, we cannot be sure which pages they have done because you cannot
leave marks, this leads to confusion. Add to this that on-screen text is
more difficult to read and you are set for disappointment.

I suppose what I need is some way which is simple and easy for the
reviewers, I don't care how much work I have to do, but if it isn't easy
they won't review it or they'll do so badly.

Thanks in anticipation. Richard Pineger.