Is there a viewer for .doc files on Solaris?

Subject: Is there a viewer for .doc files on Solaris?
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 16:36:55 +0800

Hari -

Solaris comes with a thing called Wabi. It used to be an optional
extra but it's been bundled since at least Sol 2.5.

Wabi lets you run selected Windows 3.1 applications in a window on
your Solaris desktop. It doesn't work with Windows 95 applications but
the MS Office versions that worked under Win 3.1 will certainly run.
You can even copy and paste between Word and UNIX.

We run Word 6.0 and the free Word Viewer (available from the Microsoft
Web and FTP sites). If you use Word 6.0 or can down-save your documents
to 6.0 format, Word or WordView under Wabi might work for you.

Wabi is a bit slow on Sparc machines and it likes a lot of memory,
especially if you have several users running it at once. We found the
best solution was to load Solaris for Intel on a Pentium and make it
our Wabi server. PC memory is cheaper than Sparc memory, and this way
Wabi users don't slow down our production Sun host.

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield "For I have known them all already, known them all
Functional Software Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,
mailto:slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"
-- T.S. Eliot

ps. We used to think WABI stood for Windows Application Binary Interface,
but Microsoft's lawyers took an interest and it now seems it was
named after a Japanese word 'wabi', which I believe means 'sorrow'.