Re: converting Word 6 docs to Word 7

Subject: Re: converting Word 6 docs to Word 7
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 21:24:28 -0600

In our previous episode, Chris Knight said:
> Beth Friedman wrote:
>
> > And hyphenation is handled differently in Word 7 than Word 6, which
> > means that a document's pagination can change completely from Word 6
> > to Word 7, even if the document hasn't been edited and the same
> > printer/printer driver is used.
>
> Can you be more specific, Beth?

I'll try, but it's both straightforward and mysterious. I opened a
document in Word 7 to print a new master copy, and the pagination was
all wrong -- different from the existing master (which had been
through the copier too many times and was all cruddy).

I was using the automatic hyphenation feature, which hyphenates
according to specified rules -- how far from the margin you can get,
how many hyphens in a row are allowed. Checking the first page, I
found that in at least three places, the hyphenation was different
when I opened the document in Word 7 than when I opened it in Word 6.
One change in hyphenation can alter the length of a paragraph;
numerous changes alter the pagination of the entire document. If I
hadn't had Word 6 available on the network I would have called
Microsoft and raised a huge fuss; as it is, I'm still grumping.

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"A civil war is such an awful bother.
We fought at Tewksbury and still ran out of mustard.
I wonder where my brother Richard is." -- John M. Ford