Re: Interview Tips

Subject: Re: Interview Tips
From: Marci Abels <maa5906 -at- CCP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 07:37:10 -0600

I agree with Melissa. Food is a great ice breaker. I keep a bowl of
candy on a table by my door. I now have engineers dropping by
occasionally to snag a piece of chocolate. I always take a few pieces of
candy to an interview or review session.

Whenever possible, I leave a copy of the relevant pages from the
document with my question(s) clearly stated. (before the interview, if
possible) If the engineer knows the scope of the questions, I get better
cooperation. And often, they will pop by with the pages I left and give
me the answers.

------------
Lots of you have already shared many helpful interviewing tips. I
agree with many of them. Here's one more:

Bring food to the interview. Doughnuts, cookies, popcorn, fruit, it
almost doesn't even matter. I had one SME who wouldn't make time for
me at all until another tech writer started feeding her. Now she's
one of my buds and will give me any information I want. It's the halo
effect, I guess.

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)