Internal electronic libraries

Subject: Internal electronic libraries
From: Jane Maduke <jmaduke -at- EFASOFTWARE -dot- AB -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 10:43:15 -0700

Out of lurk mode.
I'm looking for resources (books, URLs, hints, tips, etc.) on how to
organise electronic archives and libraries.
My software company has about 80 networked employees and most, at some time
or another, need to read, write and print documents; everything from user
manuals, to proposals, to design specs. We have so many documents and it's
getting harder and harder to find them. I'm the tech writer and I've been
asked to organise our new electronic library (we have a new server).
I need to keep track of locations and versions more than anything else. Do
I really need another software package? And if so, which ones are
recommended? What should I avoid?
I appreciate any pointers from this great mass of professional wisdom.
Please respond to me directly (am I off-topic?) and I'll post a summary if
there is interest.
Jane Maduke
Tech Writer, EFA Software
403-294-6958
jmaduke -at- efasoftware -dot- ab -dot- ca