DOS Screen Capture Software

Subject: DOS Screen Capture Software
From: Marjorie Borchard <MBorchard -at- ANGEION -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 09:19:51 -0600

Several weeks ago, I posted a request for information on DOS capture software. I received many good suggestions, which I have summarized here FYI. Many thanks to all of you who posted or responded individually for your help!

In the meantime, a sympathetic programmer tweaked some code on our software product to restore the Print Screen function and enable me to save a DOS screen to a PCX file. Then, I use a conversion program to save the file to a WMF format. However, since this is kind of a makeshift solution, I'm keeping everyone's responses on file for evaluating a DOS capture program in the future.

Here are the DOS capture software products and other suggestions sent to me:

Snag-It (3 people suggested)
Hotshot - Symsoft (2 people suggested)
HiJaak - Quarterdeck (2 people suggested)
PCXDump - see Peter Ring website address below
Fullshot - Inbit, Inc.
EPScreen - Legend Communications
Collage Complete - Inner Media
Paint Shop Pro - Jasc
PCS (Professional Capture Systems) - Jasc
Use the "DOSCAP" DOS command
Use old version of WordPerfect (4.2, 5.0 or 5.1?) - hot key

I was interested in Screen Thief from Nildram in the U.K., and someone suggested that shipping from the U.K. to me in the midwest U.S. might not be as time-consuming as I had thought. However, Nildram never responded to my E-mail inquiry about their product, so I'm not sure of their status.

Thank you to Peter Ring, who has a tip sheet on DOS Screen Grabbers (the address is http://www.isa.dknet.dk/~prc/ufm/tip-9703.htm).

Again, thanks for your help. I'm very impressed with the speed and quality of assistance I can receive from Techwhirlers.