Re: Soundex?

Subject: Re: Soundex?
From: Kim Keegan <keegan -at- EXPLORERS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:15:01 -0500

My company uses the Soundex algorigthm for duplicate-detection (such as a
combination of zip/address/soundex of last name).

You can see Soundex and the algorithm defined at the Free Online Dictionary
of Computing at http://wfn-shop.princeton.edu/foldoc/contents/S.html (scroll
down to the Soundex link and follow it).

Alexia Prendergast wrote:

> Soundex indices have been around for a long time -- the US Federal
> government has done Soundex indices for census records from 1880-1920.
> Soundex is a coding system that accounts for similarities in the
> phonetic sound of names, regardless of spelling irregularities. (If you
> do any genealogy, understanding Soundex is a must.)

--snip--

--
Kim Keegan | Information Developer
ISI Data Services / Intrepid Technology