Re: Soundex?

Subject: Re: Soundex?
From: JIMCHEVAL <JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 11:23:11 EST

In a message dated 97-12-11 11:10:21 EST, mrsmith -at- CTS -dot- COM writes:

<< Soundex is a program to help you search when you don't know the correct
spelling. If you searched for Smith, it might bring up Smythe as well.
Yes, it does look for words that sound like whateve >>
Among non-technical people, it is probably most well known for its application
in genealogy, where it is invaluable, since people who are direct relatives
may have had their names transcribed in all manner of different ways over the
centuries. (Ex. One of my family lines is WIllheit, Wilhit, Wilhite,
Wilhoite, Willit, etc.) Many genealogy databases use Soundex groupings as a
matter of course.

It is also implemented in sophisticated database tools. As I remember,
SQLServer, for instance, provides it as one search element.

Jim Chevallier
Los Angeles
Currently swamped
Visit Chez Jim: Jim Chevallier's Home Page - htttp://www.gis.net/~jimcheval