$10/hour too low?

Subject: $10/hour too low?
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 12:52:41 -0600

I'm skimming digests in a great hurry (it's crunch time at
work, and I'm way behind on techwr-l), but something stood
out:

The job ad seeking writers at $10 per hour for 20
hours/week seems to have drawn some flack for the low pay
rate. Just a brief context check here: the job specifically
requested _interns_, not seasoned pros. (<<We are in need
of two interns to help out with documentation development,
both hardcopy and soft.>>) Depending on where you live,
that pay rate is 2-3 times the minimum wage, and that is
excellent pay for a student who might otherwise be working
for free just to obtain job experience. Hope that I'm not
missing too much context here.