Digital Printing?

Subject: Digital Printing?
From: Jennifer Jelinek <jlkraus -at- AMETEKWATER -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 08:05:05 -0600

I'm in the process of reexamining some of our printing options for
four-color documents, and I just got a letter from a vendor asking to
discuss digital printing options, touting it as the wave of the future and
the better alternative to offset printing. My understanding is that this
process bypasses films and plates, and prints directly from file to
finished product.

Does anyone know of any good, reputable resources (i.e. that aren't trying
to "sell" the method) on digital printing? I would also be very interested
to here pros/cons from anyone who has experience with this printing method.
The one "con" I've encountered is that because the product doesn't go to
films first, you don't have same capacity for proofs and color correction
that you do with offset printing. Is this the case?

Thanks for your input. If this is off-topic (not sure how many tech writers
deal directly w/ printers) please feel free to contact me off-line.

Jennifer

Jennifer Jelinek
Marketing Services Manager
Plymouth Products, Inc. Sheboygan, WI