Re: Fair Use Law

Subject: Re: Fair Use Law
From: Smokey Lynne L Bare <slbare -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 19:38:22 -0500

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997 09:46:12 -0600 "Walker, Arlen P"
<Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM> writes:

>The trend is for copyright law to expand to cover more things in a
>more
>restrictive manner. (Remember when copyright was two renewable 28 year
>periods? Now they're talking 75+ years.) After all, there's money toe
>made
>by restricting your access to information, so don't count on something
>that's legal to copy today still being legal tomorrow.

I agree with you Arlen. I have worked with three international
publishing houses. And with this new change ( I just saw this 75 year
info in my Intellectual Property Law book ), a federal attorney told us
that when this changes, legacy will be up for grabs. I have learned from
working as a tech writer/editor for those pub houses, that each General
Counsel, along with the Acquisitions Rep to the Clearinghouse, determine
each companies' guidelines. With the use of enterprise status, it may
make something okay for one, and sketchy for another. Just like you
said.

SLBare