Re: Fair Use Law

Subject: Re: Fair Use Law
From: "Parks, Beverly" <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 07:58:35 -0700

This sorta ties in with this thread. Clinton just passed a law that
makes online piracy a felony offense. The law "makes distributing
illegal copies of online copyrighted material a federal crime if the
value of the works is $2,500 or more." Max fine is 5 yrs in prison and
$250,000 fine. The ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) thinks
that "the law would undermine the public's right to use portions of
copyrighted material under the U.S. 'fair use' doctrine." The full story
is at http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,17443,00.html

Bev Parks
P.S. I've received several submission for the Faces page over the last
day or two. Haven't responded to anyone individually yet (no time!).
You'll be hearing from me, especially if I need clarification on
anything.