Re: Not Wanted-- Technical Writers

Subject: Re: Not Wanted-- Technical Writers
From: "hope.d.cascio" <hope -dot- d -dot- cascio -at- ARTHURANDERSEN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 07:23:16 -0600

I'd like to make a couple points on comments made in this string:

Chuck Melikian talked about professionals balking at change in their fields...
electrical engineers over digital technology, programmers at object oriented
programming, et al. My Intro to Marketing prof told me last year that one huge
mistake companies will make is forgetting what industry they're actually in. A
company that has built rails and railroad cars is not in the railway industry,
but the transportation industry. Too narrow a concept of what you *really* do
will dinosaurize (to verb) you.

And so many posts back I've lost the original author, someone (or several
someones) complained (a bit! a bit!) about having to change things because of
editors that don't know technical writing. "Sky is green"-type bosses. Just
to put this in perspective, might I remind the list that even Da Vinci was
working on contracts, dependant upon the whims of of his sponsors? I'm just
happy someone's willing to pay me to write.

With respect and admiration for all of the contributors on this list,
Hope Cascio, enthusiastic newbie TWhirler extraordinaire