First day advice to a new tech writer

Subject: First day advice to a new tech writer
From: Dana Utz <utzdana -at- MAIL -dot- NETWAVE -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 13:44:03 -0600

Congratulations on your new job.

One of the things that first came to mind when I started as technical
writer after college: you are writing for a whole new audience and one that
is a whole lot more critical.

Throughout college I was able to write term papers and a thesis with little
commentary and few corrections from the professors. I knew how to write to
that audience. Once I was in the business world I found everything I wrote
ripped to shreds by a whole new audience.

As a new writer to the field of tech writing I had to learn not to take all
the criticism and corrections personally. That is a very important thing to
remember as a new writer. Editors might mark up your work to the extent
that you think you are crap as a writer, but that's not what the editors
are trying to do. They are trying to help you be a better writer.

Also, listen, listen, listen, but don't be afraid to share what you know.
If you have an opinion, speak up. Just be respectful of your co-workers
when making comments.

Good luck,

Dana Utz
www.netwave.net/members/utzdana/index.htm