Re: The Writer's Kit

Subject: Re: The Writer's Kit
From: JIMCHEVAL <JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 21:11:08 EST

In a message dated 98-01-04 19:24:31 EST, john -at- tdandw -dot- com writes:

<< My suggestion is that a tech writer should be ready to have any tool that a
client
may justify ably request to perform their assignment. >>

I'm still getting all kinds of interesting responses to my original query here
(mostly off-line), but I wanted to clarify two points in that query -

- I wasn't asking what software a (solo) TW should *know*; it's what he or she
should actually *possess* (a big difference from an economic point of view)
- I had made it clear to the client in question that I *didn't* have
Pagemaker, but they took me on anyway, then said in effect "Well, you SHOULD
have it - so now go find it." So the core of my question was - am I 'a
carpenter without a hammer' (as the client put it) because I don't actually
*own* a fairly expensive piece of DTP software, or do I just lack a nice-to-
have?

I might point out too that the project was short enough that actually buying a
$600 package would have taken a significant bite out of my profit here.

Keep those responses coming folks. Though I'd think you could share 'em with
the group - there seems to be interest.

Jim Chevallier
Los Angeles
Visit Chez Jim: Jim Chevallier's Home Page - http://www.gis.net/~jimcheval