Re: The Writer's Kit

Subject: Re: The Writer's Kit
From: Jane Bergen <janeber -at- CYBERRAMP -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 20:17:32 -0600

At 04:03 PM 1/4/98 EST, JIMCHEVAL wrote:
>Recently I got some gentle jibing from a client who insisted that I "should"
>have Pagemaker since I was a technical writer. My own opinion was that
>(snipped)
>
>My question: what do members of this list consider basic components of a
>freelance TW's kit - i.e., what's a 'must', what's a 'should' and what's a
>'nice to have'? I'm thinking both hardware and software here. (I've checked
>the archive and we've knocked around lots of closely related ideas, but not,
>so far as I can find, this one in particular.)
>
>To put it another way, what should a client expect a freelancer will
>reasonably have available as a matter of course?
>
>Also, how much has desktop publishing implicitly become part of our job
>description? Word has aspects of DTP, but my Word files have been sent
>elsewhere for pre-press work. Whereas this most recent client expects it all
>as part of TW work.

Jim,

It seems from this list that software preferences often are regional. A
good TW recruiter in your area could help you out here. I haven't seen a
lot of requirements for PageMaker in the Dallas area, but it's always
helpful to have some experience that others may not, too.

As for how much DTP writers have to do...in my office (I'm not a
contractor), I do it ALL. From scratch to sending camera-ready copy to the
printer. I've maintained for a long time that the DESIGN of information
(including the way it's laid out on the page, the navigational aspects, and
even the fonts) are an integral part of technical communication. It's vital
for Technical Communicators to understand the principles of desktop
publishing, information design, and usability in order to communicate
effectively. Along with the understanding, they need skill in using the
tools to effect those principles. In brief, DTP is becoming more and more
an important aspect of technical communication.

To answer your question about PageMaker specifically, I would want to ask a
client what it is about PageMaker that is important to the finished
product. If there is a valid reason to use it, then learn it. If not, then
present your case for using another tool to achieve the same results.

Good luck,

Jane Bergen

Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
AnswerSoft, Inc. Richardson, TX