Re: Buying a new monitor

Subject: Re: Buying a new monitor
From: JamesPVW <jamespvw -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 10:44:40 -0500

I agree completely with Geoff Hart's excellent advice about refresh rates (75
MHz or faster) and reading magazine reviews for initial guidance.

Stick with non-interlaced refresh rates unless you are not sensitive to the
flicker that interlacing can produce.

I would suggest trying 17 inch, 19 inch, and 21 inch monitors before deciding
on the size. Bigger is not always better. For me, 19 inch and 21 inch
monitors put the edges of the image outside of my comfortable field of vision.
With the bigger monitors I find myself moving my head to look at one side or
the other. That is annoying to me, so I ended up with a 17 inch monitor and a
few more dollars left in my wallet.

Jim Van Winkle