Re: 1099 vs W2 w/agencies

Subject: Re: 1099 vs W2 w/agencies
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 09:53:40 -0800

AnnMacknz wrote:

> Every time I talk to an agency, I stress my wish to work as a contractor. I
> think, in this tight employment market, they're becoming willing to bend,
> especially for those of us who are incorporated as opposed to sole
> proprietors.

And here in Silicon Valley it's not as easy to get an agency to work
with you as a 1099 or even business-to-business. Most of them simply
don't understand the fundamental difference, only that they've been
scared by horror stories of companies being raided by the IRS and then
having to pay boatloads of fines. They tend to hide under the statement
"it's not our policy to hire contractors."

Even with the hot-hot job market in Silicon Valley, the flexibility of
agencies on this issue is a sometimes thing.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems