Re: QUESTION: freelance rates

Subject: Re: QUESTION: freelance rates
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:29:12 -0800

Kristen Pederson wrote:

> Now the question: They have asked me to come up with a proposal for
> a flat rate (not billable hours). I have no idea how to calculate this
> estimate,
> or if I should high-ball in anticipation of a negotiation. Can anyone
> help me?

One set of the more commonly available rules of thumb are contained in
"Managing Your Documentation Project," by Dr. JoAnn Hackos. On p. 170
she suggests the following:

user guide 5 hrs/page
software app. ref. manual 4 hrs/page
hardware maint/troubleshooting 8 hrs/page
classroom training 40 hrs/deliverable hour of training
context-sensitive help 4 hrs/topic of help information
comprehensive help 4 hrs/topic, including hypertext links
videotaped instruction 30 hrs/finished minute of prod. time
CBT 60 hrs/finished hour of training

Every situation is a little different, but these are reasonable
benchmarks to use.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems