Books about writing policies?

Subject: Books about writing policies?
From: Susan Stott <sstott -at- PETERBORO -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 21:06:39 -0500

Does anyone know of any good books about writing policy?

About all I've been able to dig up is a Gartner group research note on
setting IT policy.

I need information about how policies are different from guidelines,
standards and governances. A book with examples and tips for writing
effective policies would be great.

I'd also appreciate some insight about how policies are usually developed.
Do people usually write "position statements" and then rewrite these into
policies? If not, what is the role of the position statement? I'm revising
a set of IS policies and I've noticed that there's not a lot of consistency
in the documentation. I'd like to clean them up and make sure that every
that needs to be in them is there.

Thanks in advance,

Susan Stott