QA and Usability Testing

Subject: QA and Usability Testing
From: Cindy Penn <penname -at- BELLSOUTH -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 19:14:15 -0500

Our division "the knowledge factory" produces CBTs (Computer Based
Training Programs) and our case, QA and Usability definately overlap.

The tech writer not only is responsible for writing clear, precise prose
that matches the screens, headings, etc. of the module, but also must
make sure the user can easily get from one screen to the next in the
program. New people in our dept often do the QA and usability testing
because they know nothing about the course. Not only do that make sure
the right response moves the the user along, but so does the wrong
response (if they get get it wrong often enough:).

So don't assume the jobs don't overlap--perhaps it doesn't in manuals or
other uses. But it certainly does for CBTs!

Cindy Penn