FW: (Writing and) Editing as a career

Subject: FW: (Writing and) Editing as a career
From: David Slonosky <David -dot- Slonosky -at- ITLS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 16:44:39 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: David Slonosky [SMTP:David -dot- Slonosky -at- itls -dot- com]
Sent: January 13, 1998 4:44 PM
To: 'Eric J. Ray'
Subject: RE: (Writing and) Editing as a career

On January 13, 1998 3:47 PM, Eric J. Ray [SMTP:ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM] wrote:

> Hey, fellow techwhirlers,
> I could use your wisdom and feedback.
> In my experience, I've found that many tech writers are expected
> to edit their own work. Does this match your experience(s)? In my

We're lucky here because that's not the case.

> current position, I have been instructed to edit all my own work and
> submit it in a publishable state before it goes out for (subject matter
> expert) SME review. We have a final step where another writer is
> supposed to proofread the document, but this is after everything else
> has been done. I've tried to get another writer/editor in on the
> process earlier, but I've been unable to convince my department of the
> value in this. While I definitely agree that a writer should strive to
> edit their own work and submit it in a clear, presentable state,
> submitting it in a publishable state before the technical review seems
> an arduous standard to achieve, and an ill-use of time if/when the
> content changes based on that review.

Editing takes time because it does involve a different mindset (as noted
below). The editor is removed from the process of creating the full
document, so they have a perspective that allows them to catch mistakes,
style deviations, and grammatical nonsense.

It's good that at least you have another writer to proofread your
document. I know that even if I proofread my own stuff, I'll invariably
miss *something*. I'm too close to my own writing style to catch tiny
mistakes, because my brain fills in over the mistake and I don't notice
it, if that makes any sense.

But I strongly believe having an editor involved in the process is
crucial.