Re: Proud Non-Member of STC

Subject: Re: Proud Non-Member of STC
From: "Miller, Marlene" <mmiller -at- AISYSTEM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 15:57:19 -0500

As with most other things (like mailing lists and church), people get out of
STC pretty much what they put in after the basket has been passed, and the
local chapters reflect that level of member participation. Our STC chapter
has always been an indicator of the committment of the local technical
communication community and not of the Society office and its services, which
is there only to facilitate our activities, not dictate them. If we have
meetings we don't like or uninformative publications or poor networking, it's
our fault.

I pick and choose the organizations I belong to because my time and money are
as limited as anyone else's, but when I join, I expect to contribute at some
level. STC's networking alone - locally, regionally, nationally - has
benefitted me many times beyond the cost of annual dues.