Re: Knowledge Base

Subject: Re: Knowledge Base
From: Ruth Glaser <rglaser -at- DATAWORKSMPLS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 09:32:39 -0600

Gina,

I can't address your question about a document management
software system, because I've never used one. However, we
do use a knowledge base (KB) and I can tell you what a KB
does.

In a nutshell, KBs allow a customer support or help desk
organization to collect information that may be useful in the
future. This information can be traditional help files,
documentation, installation instructions, etc., or it may be
documents the reps create as they discover solutions to
customer problems. They can then search and find that info
in the future and use it to solve customer issues. KBs allow
you to codify problem solving information (or "knowledge")
immediately as it is obtained.

For example, a customer calls in because a document
won't print. The support rep types in the keywords "print" and
"document". Depending on the type of system, the software
may either bring up a list of documents like
"Configuring your printer"
"Filling the paper tray"
"Supported Print Drivers"
-OR-
the system may prompt the support rep with a series of
decision-tree questions, like
"What platform does the customer use? NT, Mac, etc."
"Is the printer set up on a network?"

The support rep can then view the related documents to
see if they'll solve the problem, or they can answer the
questions. The answers to the questions determine the
path or logic the system uses to find the correct document.

If the existing documents don't solve the problem, the
rep can create a new document that addresses the issue.
Then, that document can be made available to others
searching the KB.

There is a lot more to it than this, but you'd be better off
contacting a vendor for more detailed info.

Here are a few notable KB vendors in no particular
order:

Company: PLATINUM Technology
Product: Apriori
Contact: 800-833-PLAT
Web: www.platinum.com

Company: Inference Corporation
Product: Inference
Contact: 847-619-7109
web: www.inference.com

Company: Software Artistry
Product:
Contact: 314-984-6819

Company: Quintus
Product: AutoAnswer
web: www.quintus.com

Company: DK Systems
Product: many
web: www.dksystems.com

Anyone know the difference between document management software systems
and "knowledge base" management systems?